[Python-Dev] Playing with descr-branch

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Thu, 05 Jul 2001 11:16:37 -0400

> some feedback from first experiments with descr-branch:
>
> The test-suite seems to work, as does the test_descr.py script
> run standalone.
>
> Immediate crash (access vialoation) on executing:
>
> C:\sf\desc-branch\python\dist\src\PCbuild>python
> Python 2.2a0 (#16, Jul  5 2001, 12:26:08) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
> ...   def foo(*a): return a
> ...   goo = classmethod(foo)
>
> The crash can be avoided by executing C = c()
> before calling C.goo.

Hm, I can't reproduce this; it works for me!  Have you tried cvs
update and rebuilding?

> Just an observation...
> Currently this code does not seem stable enough to
> play with.

What you observe sounds like a reference count error.  If you can
still reproduce it, can you try to dig a little deeper?  Linking with
-lefence and running it under gdb, then reporting the backtrace when
it fails would help.