[Python-Dev] "Becoming a Python Developer"

Samuele Pedroni Samuele Pedroni <pedroni@inf.ethz.ch>
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 17:27:59 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi.

[Andrew Kuchling]

> >Explaining the distinction would be helpful, and you could add that
> >for Java programmers, participating in Jython would be a logical step.
>
> The thing is, I'm not sure how Jython is developed.  Is Finn Bock the
> BDFL, do the developers vote, or what?  (Same question for .NET.)  If
> some Jython development offered to contribute a description, I
> certainly wouldn't turn it down.

The situation for jython development is as follows (Finn could have
a different opinion):
There are 2 active core developers.
Until now we never needed to vote, also because most of what we do
is mimicking python semantic. The java/jython specific stuff is
already subtle enough for two minds and we simply try to converge
to a decent solution. I don't think Finn considers himself a BDFL.
Until now (jython phase, not jpython) we have received only small
contributions, and we have rejected a few patches, we are severe censors
wrt. to quality, at least we try.

The matter of fact is that for the momement we have never been challenged
by a patch, feature addition by a promising new contributor.
That's a pity. We have (I imagine) lots of users, and we get praised but...

Maybe we are bad at diplomacy or we have somehow closed the development process ...

In any case we would definitely like to have some more contributors, also in order
to better keep up with python quick pace ... Java is more productive than multi-platform
portable C but ...

regards, Samuele.