[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Include rangeobject.h,2.16,2.17

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Sat, 07 Jul 2001 23:43:37 +0200

Recently, Guido van Rossum <guido@digicool.com> said:
> Sobering thought: It's possible, given all the other changes that I'm
> thinking about, that it just won't be possible to make Python 2.2
> fully backwards compatible.  Should we rename it to 3.0?  Forget about
> the changes?  Label it as experimental and encourage ISPs to install
> it as an "alternative" version, only available by using "python2.2"?

In this respect you should also think of the people
Embedding/extending Python. From the checkin messages I get the
impression that all the new inheritance stuff could well break things
there, and if you're going to break, say, pyapache or somesuch then a
major version jump may well be called for...