[Python-Dev] Python and SSL

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 09:26:51 -0400

> Hello
>
> I'm currently in the process of developing a basic OpenSSL module for
> Python. Before you say antyhing, yes I know about M2Crypto and its SSL
> support, but for a number of reasons, it doesn't fulfill our needs.
>
> We found the SSL support in Python to be insufficient (nonexistent :-))
> for our needs.  We thus decided to write our own module.
>
> The module is faaaar from complete as an interface to the general
> cryptographic functionality of OpenSSl, but it does have basic SSL
> support, including authorization using certificates, PRNG seeding
> functions and an error handling system.
>
> Since we are using Python extensively and don't have to pay for it, we
> would like to reply in kind and offer the module back to the Python
> project.
>
> (This is, in case you're missing it, a hint that now that security is
> the hot subject it is, it's silly for an otherwise so complete language to
> lack SSL support ;-))
>
> The whole kit (including some documentation) can be found here:
> http://www.strakt.com/~martin/pyOpenSSL.tar.gz
>
> My question is... What do I do now? Where to proceed?
>
> Please CC me replies, since I'm (of course) not on the list.
>
> Regards,
> Martin Sjögren
> AB Strakt

Hi Martin,

You can actually subscribe to python-dev.  Just go to
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-dev and enter your
email and password; you will magically be approved.

The best thing you can do is try to find someone with Python SF commit
privileges who is willing to review your code and check it in.  (I
would have recommended Jeremy Hylton, but he's still away on paternity
leave, so you'll have to find someone outside PythonLabs.)