[Python-Dev] RE: Defining Unicode Literal Encodings

Paul Prescod paulp@ActiveState.com
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 17:23:43 -0700

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> doesn't change a thing: the SOURCE CODE still has an
> encoding.
>
> I'm strongly -1 on your proposal.
>
> it's not representing current best practices (xml, java),
> and it's not future proof.  we can do better.

I think that with minor tweaks, the PEP can be a real step forward from
where we are.

I as disappointed with Guido's quick dismissal because I do think we
have a problem in that people can send around Python programs with a
bunch of encoded text without any declaration. Neither text editors nor
even the Python interpreter itself know how to display that information
on someone else's machine. Having a declaration would be a big step
towards breaking the implicit dependence of those files on their "home"
machines.

For the declaration to have the effect I hope for, it would have to be
file-scoped and apply to all binary data in the file.
--
Take a recipe. Leave a recipe.