[Python-Dev] Re: PEP: Defining Unicode Literal Encodings (revision 1.1)

Paul Prescod paulp@ActiveState.com
Sun, 15 Jul 2001 12:48:08 -0700

"M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:

>     Since Python source code is defined to be ASCII, the Unicode literal
>     encodings (both standard and raw) should be supersets of ASCII and
>     match the encoding used elsewhere in the program text, e.g. in
>     comments and maybe even 8-bit strings (even though their encoding
>     is only implicit and completely under the programmer's control).

Python programmers do not read PEPs to learn how to use new features. I
think it makes the whole thing much simpler if we define it on the file
level explicitly. To me, the feature is most helpful if it helps the
interpreter and various code inspection tools to understand all of the
non-ASCII information in the file.
--
Take a recipe. Leave a recipe.