[Python-Dev] 2.2 Unicode questions

Ken Manheimer klm@digicool.com
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 18:43:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Andrew Kuchling wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 10:15:49AM -0400, Simon Cozens wrote:
> >If by UCS-2 you actually mean UTF-16, then using surrogates is the
> >right approach. :)
>
> <head explodes> If a narrow Python uses UTF-16 (and it does seem to,
> according to PEP 100), then the configure script's
> --enable-unicode=ucs2 option should be changed, because it's
> misleading.

(-: I am becoming convinced that Unicode is a multi-national plot to take
over the minds of our most gifted (and/or most obsessive) programmers, in
pursuit of an elusive, unresolvable, and ultimately, undefinable goal.

To what point?

To divert those of merit, and enable the emergence of the mediocritocricy
- a modest plot to elevate the overshadowed to positions of remotely
impressive power.

Now that i'm nearly convinced of this conspiracy, perhaps i should be
nearly committed...

Ken:-)