[Python-Dev] 2.2 Unicode questions

David Ascher DavidA@ActiveState.com
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 22:49:52 -0700

Tim Peters wrote:

> just-so-long-as-we-don't-have-to-deal-with-the-french-ly y'rs  - tim

I stopped using accents and cedillas in my french writings in 1986 when
I was stuck in a foreign land with IBM 3278 terminals on an EBCDIC
system.  Haven't missed 'em since.  My greek graduate student buddy
wrote greek in ASCII using a completely made-up transliteration system
known only to greek expatriates on the internet.  The Newton vs.
Graffiti debate has shown for the Nth time that people are more adaptive
than computers.

7 bits is enough for anything worth saying.   Anything else consists of
error-correcting bits. =)

--david