[Python-Dev] mail.python.org black listed ?!

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 16:39:32 -0400

    M> Perhaps we should start a small project for such a tool written
    M> in Python (to bring the subject back on topic ;-) and place it
    M> on the web somewhere ?!

I think that's an excellent idea!

    M> If we separate out the engine from the rest we could also have
    M> different backends, e.g. one which hooks into .forward as
    M> filter, a daemon style backend which does on-server flagging
    M> based on imap, a Mailman filter backend which does the same for
    M> mailing lists etc.

    M> Would be cool to have python-list mark non-python spam using a
    M> special header automagically ;-)

We could go one better in MM2.1.  There's now a "topics filter"
feature in the alpha codebase (sponsored by Control.com -- thanks
guys!)  and I can easily see how it might be extended to something
like:

- The filter marks the message with a % confidence of being spam
  (e.g. X-Spam: 75%)

- Each Mailman recipient could specify the threshhold above which they
  do not want to receive the message (e.g. don't sent me anything
  that's spam with a more than 70% confidence level).  This only works
  for regular delivery.

-Barry