[Python-Dev] mail.python.org black listed ?!

Ken Manheimer klm@digicool.com
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 17:46:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     BAW> - The filter marks the message with a % confidence of being spam
>     BAW>   (e.g. X-Spam: 75%)
>
>     BAW> - Each Mailman recipient could specify the threshhold above which
>     BAW>   they do not want to receive the message (e.g. don't sent me
>     BAW>   anything that's spam with a more than 70% confidence level).
>     BAW>   This only works for regular delivery.
>
> [Could use re's to match]
>
> I would therefore suggest that the X-Spam header be simply a three-digit
> number in the range 000 to 100.  (No percent sign, always with any necessary
> leading zeroes.)  It might even be better to create an X-Spam-Value header
> in one-bit arithmetic, e.g. make a slightly smaller range (say 0 to 50) and
> include a header like:

> to indicate a 70% likelihood (35 "s"s).  You could then match it with

> in procmail to spam-categorize anything with a probability of spamhood >=
> 50%.  You could include a readable X-Spam header like:

Um, yick!-)  The idea of using a bar-like representation of the assessment
strikes me like suggesting presentation of the info in a graph, and then
screen-scraping to evaluate the graph.  Aieee!

How about a spam-estimate of 0-9?  Pretty darn easy to match.  I wouldn't
imagine the lack of precision is going to be a problem, in this domain...

Or is this all too off-topic?

Ken
klm@digicool.com