[Python-Dev] mail.python.org black listed ?!

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com (Skip Montanaro)
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 17:38:59 -0500

    Ken> Um, yick!-) The idea of using a bar-like representation of the
    Ken> assessment strikes me like suggesting presentation of the info in a
    Ken> graph, and then screen-scraping to evaluate the graph.  Aieee!

Well, that's not what I had in mind, but if that floats your boat.  The
fundamental I'm trying to solve is that many mail filter programs can't do
numeric comparisons at all.  I'm used to procmail which allows me to easily
use regular expressions.  Somebody else (Barry?  Marc-Andre?) suggested

(90% probability) or

(50% probability)

which can be matched by feeble filters like Netscape's that only supports
substring matches ("X-Spam-Value: 0123456" would match anything of 60%
probability or higher).

    Ken> How about a spam-estimate of 0-9?  Pretty darn easy to match.  I
    Ken> wouldn't imagine the lack of precision is going to be a problem, in
    Ken> this domain...

You're unfortunately back to trying to make numeric comparisons or using
fairly complex regular expressions to perform the comparisons.  The poor
saps using Netscape would have to have four rules to match a 60% or higher
spam probability.

This discussion almost certainly doesn't belong on python-dev.  Is there a
more appropriate Python-related list already in existence in which to hatch
these ideas?

Skip