[Python-Dev] shouldn't we be considering all pending numeric proposals together?

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 20:14:15 +0200

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > > I actually expect that most conversion jobs will be easy -- all those
> > > folks who suffer from "Extreme Fear of Floating Point" (as Tim calls
> > > it) can simply change every / into a // in their program (using a tool
> > > that properly tokenizes) and they should be done, since most likely
> > > their code never uses floating point. :-)
> >
> > Well, that would break floating points then...
>
> Not under the assumption that they will never use floating point.

Verifying such an assumption will be just as hard as auditing the
code itself, I'm afraid.

> > unless float // float works like float / float does now.
>
> No, that would be a bad idea.  float//float should either raise an
> exception or return a rounded-towards-minus-infinity result.

Hmm, it would assure that your tool doesn't accidentally
break floating point code.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH