[Python-Dev] Branches here, branches there, branches everywherte

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 16:44:39 -0400

> I've finally started reviewing the changes made to the Distutils during
> my extended leave-of-absence, and making a few minor commits.

Great!

> So far I've just made these commits on the trunk, because I don't
> really understand anything else.  (Yes, yes, I've read the CVS docs
> many many times.  It just takes a while to sink in.)  Am I right in
> doing this?  Ie. will 2.2a2 be released from the trunk?  Or should I
> be doing commits that I want in 2.2a2 on the 22a1 branch?

You needn't worry about the branches at all.  Everything checked in on
the trunk will be merged into the branch.  In fact, if you check it in
on the trunk *and* on the branch, you'd end up creating more pain for
the bot doing the merges.

Checking in on the branch should only be done if the change
specifically applies to the branch only.  For example, only type/class
unification changes should be checked in on the descr-branch.

And yes, I plan to merge the descr-branch back into the trunk,
hopefully (but not yet certainly) before 2.2a2 is due.

Branches are a necessary evil.