[Python-Dev] Python API version & optional features

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 15:56:51 +0200

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." wrote:

> M.-A. Lemburg writes:
>  > I am not sure whether this is the right way to approach this
>  > problem, though, since it affects all extensions -- not only
>  > ones using Unicode.
>
>   Given that unicodeobject.h defines many macros and size-sensitive
> types in the public API, I don't see any way around this.  If the API
> always used UCS4 (including in the macros), or defined both UCS2 and
> UCS4 versions of everything affected, then we could get around it.
>   That seems like a high price to pay.

I think Guido suggested using macros to turn the Unicode APIs
into e.g. PyUnicodeUCS4_Encode() vs. PyUnicodeUCS2_Encode().

That would prevent loading of non-compatible extensions using Unicode
APIs (it doesn't catch the argument parser usage, though, e.g.
"u").

Perhaps that's the way to go ?!

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg