[Python-Dev] pep-discuss

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 07:01:03 -0400

    PP> We've talked about having a mailing list for general
    PP> PEP-related discussions. Two things make me think that
    PP> revisiting this would be a good idea right now.

    PP> First, the recent loosening up of the python-dev rules
    PP> threatens the quality of discussion about bread and butter
    PP> issues such as patch discussions and process issues.

I'm not worrying about that until it becomes a problem. :)

    PP> Second, the flamewar on python-list basically drowned out the
    PP> usual newbie questions and would give a person coming new to
    PP> Python a very negative opinion about the language's future and
    PP> the friendliness of the community. I would rather redirect as
    PP> much as possible of that to a list that only interested
    PP> participants would have to endure.

For me too, it'd be just another list to subscribe to and follow, so
I'm generally against a separate pep list too.

One thing I'll note: in Mailman 2.1 we will be able to define "topics"
and you will be able to filter on specific topics.  E.g. if we defined
a pep topic, you could filter out all pep messages, receive only pep
messages, or do mail client filtering on the X-Topics: header.  (This
only works for regular delivery, not digest delivery.)

just-dont-ask-when-MM2.1-will-be-ready-ly y'rs,
-Barry