[Python-Dev] Parrot -- should life imitate satire?

Samuele Pedroni pedroni@inf.ethz.ch
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 17:06:57 +0200

Thanks for the answer.

> Samuele Pedroni wrote:

> > A question: are there already some data about
> > what would be the actual performance of Python.NET vs. CPython ?
>
> I think it is safe to say that the current version of Python.NET is
> slower than Jython. Now it hasn't been optimized as much as Jython so we
> might be able to get it as fast as Jython.
But this  maybe will wonder you, but Jython is not that much optimized, it's
mostly
a straightforward OO design. But I think that's the only way to avoid
specializing
for some development state of the JVMs.
For exampe we have changed nothing, but it seems (it seems) that under Java 1.4
asymptotically (meaning you need a long running process to exploit the HotSpot
technology)
Jython is a bit faster than CPython, at least for non I/O intesive stuff. It
seems
they optimized reflection.

> But I don't think that there
> is anything in the .NET runtime that makes it a great deal better than
> the JVM for dynamic languages.
I have the same impression, unless one can do something really clever
with boxing/unboxing without loosing too much cycles or going in the
way of the compiler.

> The only difference is that Microsoft
> seems more aware of the problem and may move to correct it whereas I
> have a feeling that explicit support for our languages would dilute
> Sun's 100% Java marketing campaign.
But will Sun be such a passive actor, even if MS will have a market advatage
supporting especially
scripting languages.

There is much hype in both camps, but Unix/C seem to show that you need a good
system language
and the possibility to write some scripting languages over it to have a good
platform.

> Also, the .NET CLR is standardized
> at ECMA so we could (at least in theory!) go to the meetings and try to
> influence version 2.
I imagine you can go the same way entering the JCP. ASF is in for example.

Samuele Pedroni.