[Python-Dev] Parrot -- should life imitate satire?

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 05:18:08 -0400

Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>:
> About the only *real* problem I see with that is getting the whole farm of
> mexican jumping beans to figure-skate in unison... It'll be an interesting
> experience, with a lot of slippery falls and just-in-time recovering... not
> to mention quite a bit of ego-massaging :-) But I think it's just a manner
> of typing code and taking the time, and forget about optimizing the code the
> first couple of years.

This is just about exactly how I see it, too.  The big problem isn't
any of the technical challenges -- the discussion so far indicates
these are surmountable, and in fact may be less daunting than many
of us originally assumed.  The big problem will be summoning the
political will to make the right commitments and the right
compromises.

Making this work is going to take strong leadership from Larry and
Guido.  We're laying some of the technical groundwork now.  More will
have to be done.  But I think the key moment, if it happens, will be
the one at which Guido and Larry, each flanked by their three or four
chief lieutenants, shake hands for the cameras and issue a joint ukase
to their tribes.

Tim, hosting that meeting will be your job, of course :-).

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible
will make violent revolution inevitable."
	-- John F. Kennedy