[Python-Dev] One more dict trick

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Thu, 31 May 2001 23:51:48 -0400

Tim Peters <tim.one@home.com>:
>                      A 128-bit float type is simply necessary for some
> scientific work:  not all problems are well-conditioned, and the "extra"
> bits can vanish fast.

Makes me wonder how competent your customers' numerical analysts were.
Where the heck did they think they were getting data with that many
digits of accuracy?  (Note that I didn't say "precision"...)

Strict gun laws are about as effective as strict drug laws...It pains
me to say this, but the NRA seems to be right: The cities and states
that have the toughest gun laws have the most murder and mayhem.
        -- Mike Royko, Chicago Tribune