[Python-Dev] readline not getting built when .so symlink doesn't exist

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com (Skip Montanaro)
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 15:49:07 -0500

    [my readline woes snipped]

    Michael> Hmm.  Does compiling a proggie

    Michael> $ gcc foo.c -lreadline

    Michael> work?  It doesn't here if I move libreadline.so & libreadline.a
    Michael> out of the way.

Yup, it does:

    beluga:tmp% cc -o foo foo.c -lreadline -ltermcap
    beluga:tmp% ./foo
    >>sdfsdfsdf
    sdfsdfsdf

(This after deleting both /lib/libreadline.so and /lib/libhistory.so.)
In this case, foo.c is

    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <readline/readline.h>
    #include <readline/history.h>

    main() {
	    printf("%s\n", readline(">>" ));
    }

    Michael> Do you need a readline-devel package or something?

Got that.  I just noticed that "rpm -q --whatprovides /lib/libreadline.so"
does list readline-devel as the provider.  I just reinstalled it using
--force.  Now the .so symlinks are there.  Go figure...

Oh well, probably ought to drop it unless another Mandrake user complains.

I'm really amazed at how many packages Mandrake chose *not* to install even
though I selected all the groups during install and was installing into
fresh / and /usr partitions.  I've been dribbling various packages in
bit-by-bit as I've discovered omissions.  In the past I've also noticed
files apparently not installed even though the packages that were supposed
to provide them were installed.

Skip