[Python-Dev] Shouldn't I be able to print Unicode objects?

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
05 Jun 2001 20:31:33 +0100

Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com> writes:

>     Me> [what am I missing?]
>
>     Michael> The encoding:
>
>     >>> print u"\N{DEGREE SIGN}".encode("latin1")
>     °
>
> Hmmm... I don't believe I've ever encountered an object in Python before
> that you couldn't simply print.  Are Unicode objects unique in this respect?
> Seems like a bug (or at least a feature) to me.

Well, what would you have

>>> print u"\N{DEGREE SIGN}"

(or equivalently

str(u"\N{DEGREE SIGN}")

since we're eventually going to have to stuff an 8-bit string down
stdout) do?

I don't think

>>> print u"\N{DEGREE SIGN}"
u'\xb0'

is really an option.

This is old news.  It must have been discussed here before 1.6,
I'd have thought.

Cheers,
M.

--
58. Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it. Some can avoid
    it. Geniuses remove it.