[Python-Dev] -U option?

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 15:27:59 -0400

http://sf.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=105470&aid=430269&group_id=5470
python -U breaks import with 2.1

Anyone understand -U?  Like, should it work, why is it there if it doesn't
and isn't expected to, and are there docs for it beyond the "python -h"
blurb?

Last mention of it I found in c.l.py was

"""
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 16:09:46 +0100
From: "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com>
Subject: Re: [Python-Dev] Pre-PEP: Python Character Model

Well, with -U on, Python will compile "" into u"",
last I tried, Python didn't even start up :-(
"""

An earlier msg (08 Sep 2000) said:

"""
Note that many thing fail when Python is started with -U... that
switch was introduced to be able to get an idea of which parts of
the standard fail to work in a mixed string/Unicode environment.
"""

If this is just an internal development switch, python -h probably shouldn't
advertise it.