[Python-Dev] Shouldn't I be able to print Unicode objects?

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 07 Jun 2001 10:29:52 +0200

Paul Prescod wrote:

> Barry Scott wrote:
> >
> > > Shouldn't we fix the tokenizer to explicitly check for 'a'...'z'
> > > and 'A'...'Z' ?! (same for digits) ?!
> >
> >         If you embrace the world then NO. If America is you world then maybe.
>
> Actually, if we were really going to embrace the world we'd need to
> handle more than a few European languages!

I was just suggesting to make the parser actually do what the
language spec defines.

And yes: I don't like non-ASCII identifiers (even though I live in
Europe). This is just bound to cause trouble, e.g. people
forgetting accents on characters, editors displaying code using
wild approximations of what the code author intended to write, etc.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH