[Python-Dev] Adding .decode() method to Unicode

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:57:32 +0200

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> mal wrote:
> > > Ok. Please show me how that would work. More precisely, please write a
> > > PEP describing the rationale for this feature, including use case
> > > examples and precise semantics of the proposed addition.
> >
> > There's no need for a PEP. This addition is much too simple
> > to require a PEP on its own.
>
> we'd been better off if you'd written a PEP before you started
> adding decode and encode stuff.  what's currently implemented
> is ugly enough; adding more warts won't make it any prettier.

Could you please be more specific about what is "ugly" in the
current implementation ?

The .encode/.decode methods are a direct interface to the
codecs encoder and decoder APIs. I can't find anything ugly
about this in general except maybe some of the constraints which were
originally put into these interface on the grounds of using them
for string/Unicode conversions -- I have already removed most of
these and would like to clean this up completely before 2.2 gets
out.

> -1 on anything except a PEP that covers *all* aspects of
> encode/decode (including things that are already implemented)

Gee, Guido starts breaking code and nobody objects; I try to
clean up some left-overs in the Unicode implementation and
people start huge discussions about it. Something is backwards
here...

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH