[Python-Dev] Adding .decode() method to Unicode

Paul Prescod paulp@ActiveState.com
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:22:31 -0700

"Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:

> Having just followed this thread tangentially, I do have to say it
> seems quite cool to be able to do something like the following in
> Python 2.2:

> ...   name = parts[3].decode('quopri')
> ... elif parts[2].lower() == 'b':
> ...   name = parts[3].decode('base64')

I think that the central point is that if code like the above is useful
and supported then it needs to be the same for Unicode strings as for
8-bit strings. If the code above is NOT useful and should NOT be
supported then we need to undo it before 2.2 ships. This unicode.decode
argument is just a proxy for the real argument about the above.

I don't feel strongly one way or another about this (ab?)use of the
codecs concept, myself, but I do feel strongly that Unicode strings
should behave as much as possible like 8-bit strings.
--
Take a recipe. Leave a recipe.