[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Lib/test test_mailbox.py,1.5,1.6

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 23:56:43 +0200

Recently, Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net> said:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 01:20:07PM -0700, Jack Jansen wrote:
>
> > The test used int(time.time()) to get a random number, but this doesn't
> > work on the mac (where times are bigger than ints). Changed to
> > int(time.time()%1000000).
>
> Doesn't int(time.time()%sys.maxint) make more sense ? At least you won't be
> degrading the sequentiality of this particularly unrandom random number on
> platforms where ints really are big enough to hold times :)

I think the last sentence should be "... platforms where time before
1970 doesn't exist so they can fit it in a measly 32 bits":-)

But anyway: I haven't a clue whether the sequentiality is important,
it doesn't really seem to be from a quick glance. If you want to fix
it: allez votre corridor.