[Python-Dev] os.path.normcase() in site.py

Tim Peters tim@digicool.com
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:47:06 -0400

[Jack Jansen]
> With MacPython's way of finding the initial sys.path contents we
> don't have the Windows-Python problem that we add the same directory
> 5 times (once in uppercase, once in lowercase, once in mixed case,
> once in mixed-case with / for \, etc:-),

Happily, we don't have that problem on a stock Windows Python anymore:

C:\Python21>python
Python 2.1 (#15, Apr 16 2001, 18:25:49) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>>> import sys, pprint
>>> pprint.pprint(sys.path)
['',
 'c:\\python21',
 'c:\\python21\\dlls',
 'c:\\python21\\lib',
 'c:\\python21\\lib\\plat-win',
 'c:\\python21\\lib\\lib-tk']

OTOH, this is still Icky, because those don't match (wrt case) the names in
the filesystem (e.g., just look at the initial prompt line:  I was in
Python21 when I ran this, not python21).

> so if this is what it's trying to solve we can take it out easily.

It's hard to believe Fred added code to solve a Windows problem <wink>; I
don't know what it's trying to do.