[Python-Dev] NIS on Linux, others?

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 10:13:09 +0200

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 10:44:54PM -0400, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

>   Is anyone here using NIS (Sun's old "Yellow Pages" service)?
> There's a bug for this on Linux that's been assigned to me for some
> time, but I don't have access to a network using NIS.  Can anyone
> either confirm the bug or the fix?  Or at least confirm that the
> suggested fix doesn't break the nis module on some other platform?
> (Testing this on a Sun SPARC box would be really nice!)
>   I'd really appreciate some help on this one.  The bug report is:

If noone else pops up, I'll setup a small NIS network at home to test it
when my new computer arrives (a week or two.) We use NIS a lot at work, but
not on Linux machines (the 16-bit uid limitation prevented us from using
Linux for user-accessible machines for a long time.)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>