[Python-Dev] Passing silly values to time.strftime

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 23:12:45 +0200

Recently, Jack Jansen <jack@oratrix.nl> said:
> Just noted (that's Just-the-person, not me-just-noting:-) that on the
> Mac time.strftime() can blow up with an access violation if you pass
> silly values to it (such as 9 zeroes).

Following up to myself, after I just noticed (just-me-noticing, not
Just-the-person this time) that all zeros is a legal C value:
gettmarg() converts this all-zeroes tuple to
   (0, 0, 0, 0, -1, 100, 0, -1, 0)
Fine with me, apparently Python wants to have human-understandable
(1-based) monthnumbers and yeardaynumbers, but then I think it really
should also check that the values are in-range.

What do others think?