[Python-Dev] NIS on Linux, others?

Jeff Epler jepler@inetnebr.com
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 10:04:18 -0500

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 10:03:28AM -0400, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> Greg Ball writes:
>  > Short version: I can confirm that bug under linux, but the patch breaks
>  > nis module on solaris.
>
>   I'm presuming that these were using the same NIS server?  I'm
> wondering if this may be an endianess-related problem.  I don't
> understand enough about the NIS protocols to know what's going on in
> that module.

It's my suspicion that it depends how the "aliases" map is built.  The
patch that "broke" things for the Linux systems includes the comment
	/* created with 'makedbm -a' */
which makes me suspect that it's dependant on the way the map is
constructed.  (I couldn't find an online makedbm manpage which documents
a -a option)

Endian issues should not exist, the protocol below NIS/YP takes care of
this.

Jeff