[Python-Dev] Adding a Rational Type to Python

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 16:55:12 +0100

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 10:09:15AM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Note: if you call it fraction() instead, it may appeal more to the
> educational crowd!  (In grade school, we learn fractions; not until
> late in high school do we learn that mathematicials call fractions
> rationals.  It's the same as Randy Paush's argument about what to call
> a quarter turn: not 90 degrees, not pi/2, just call it 1/4 turn. :-)

+1 on fraction(). +0 on making it a builtin instead of a separate module.
(I'm not nearly as worried about adding builtins as I am with adding
keywords <wink>)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>