[Python-Dev] Re: [Stackless] comments on PEP 219

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 19:55:54 -0500

I've been following this discussion anxiously.  There's one
application of stackless where I think the restrictions *do* come into
play.  Gordon wrote a nice socket demo where multiple coroutines or
uthreads were scheduled by a single scheduler that did a select() on
all open sockets.  I would think that if you use this a lot, e.g. for
all your socket I/O, you might get in trouble sometimes when you
initiate a socket operation from within e.g. __init__ but find you
have to complete it later.

How realistic is this danger?  How serious is this demo?