[Python-Dev] CML2 compiler speedup

Eric esr@thyrsus.com
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 13:37:10 -0800

Tim Peters <tim.one@home.com>:
> If all you got out of crafting a one-grammar parser by hand is a measly
> factor of 2, there's likely a factor of 10 still untouched (wrt "the best"
> parser generators for restricted grammars, in C).  For the all-purpose Earley
> parser to get that close is really quite an accomplishment!  SPARK was
> written primarily for rapid prototyping, at which it excels (how many times
> did you change your grammar during development?  how much longer would it
> have taken you to adjust had you needed to rework your RD parser each time?).

SPARK is indeed a wonderful prototyping tool, and I admire John Aycock for
producing it (though he really needs to do better on the documentation).

Unfortunately, Michael Elizabeth Chastain pointed out that it imposes a
bad startup delay in some important cases of CML2 usage.

Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons.
If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.
         -- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992