[Python-Dev] Sourceforge FAQ

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 11:22:38 -0500

    TP> I'm always amused that Unix users never allow the limitations
    TP> of their tools to convince them to do something obvious
    TP> instead.

    TW> - Don't use cvs diff. Use real diff instead. Something like
    TW> this:

    TW>   mv your tree asside, (can just mv your 'src' dir to
    TW> 'src.mypatch' or such) cvs update -d, make distclean in your
    TW> old tree, diff -crN --exclude=CVS src src.mypatch >
    TW> mypatch.diff

Why not try the "obvious" thing <wink>?

    % cvs diff -uN <rev-switches>

(Okay this also generates unified diffs, but I'm starting to find them
more readable than context diffs anyway.)

I seem to recall actually getting this to work effortlessly when I
generated the Mailman 2.0.3 patch (which contained the new file
README.secure_linux).

Yup, looking at the uploaded SF patch

    http://ftp1.sourceforge.net/mailman/mailman-2.0.2-2.0.3.diff

that file's in there, and diffed against /dev/null, so it's added by
`+' the whole file.

-Barry