[Python-numerics]Re: [Python-Dev] Re: WYSIWYG decimal fractions

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 12:38:31 +0100

Tim Peters wrote:

> [M.-A. Lemburg]
> > Looking around some more on the web, I found that the GNU MP (GMP)
> > lib has switched from being GPLed to LGPLed,
>
> Right.
>
> > meaning that it can actually be used by non-GPLed code as long as
> > the source code for the GMP remains publically accessible.
>
> Ask Stallman <0.9 wink>.

> > Since the GMP offers arbitrary precision numbers and also has
> > a rational number implementation I wonder if we could use it
> > in Python to support fractions and arbitrary precision
> > floating points ?!
>
> Note that Alex Martelli runs the "General Multiprecision Python" project on
> SourceForge:
>
>     http://gmpy.sourceforge.net/
>
> He had a severe need for fast rational arithmetic in his Python programs, so
> starting wrapping the full GMP out of necessity.

I found that link after hacking away at yet another GMP
wrapper for three hours Friday night... turned out to be a nice
proof of concept, but also showed some issues with respect to
coercion (see my other reply).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg