[Python-Dev] Function in os module for available disk space, why not?

Dinu Gherman gherman@darwin.in-berlin.de
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 13:58:48 +0100

Thomas Wouters wrote:

> Nope. But you seem to misunderstand the idea behind Python development (and
> most of open-source development.)

Not sure what makes you think that, but anyway.

> PythonLabs has a *lot* of stuff they have
> to do, and you cannot expect them to do everything. Truth is, this is not
> likely to be done by Pythonlabs, and it will never be done unless someone
> does it.

Apparently, I agree, I know less about what makes truth here.
What is probably valid is that having much to do is true for
everybody and not much of an argument, is it?

> As for the parallelism: that means getting even more people to volunteer for
> the task. And the person(s) doing it still have to figure out the common
> denominators in 'get me free disk space info'.

I'm afraid this is like argueing in circles.

> And the fact that it's *been* 10 years shows that noone cares enough about
> the free disk space issue to actually get people to code it. 10 years filled
> with a fair share of C programmers starting to use Python, so plenty of
> those people could've done it :)

I'm afraid, again, but the impression you have of nobody in ten
years asking for this function is just that, an impression,
unless *somebody* prooves the contrary.

All I can say is that I'm writing an app that I want to be
cross-platform and that Python does not allow it to be just
that, while Google gives you 17400 hits if you look for
"python cross-platform". Now, this is also some kind of
*truth* if only one of a mismatch between reality and wish-
ful thinking...

Regards,

Dinu