[Python-Dev] Function in os module for available disk space, why not?

Dinu Gherman gherman@darwin.in-berlin.de
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 14:23:51 +0100

Thomas Wouters wrote:

> I've never really believed in the 'true cross-platform nature' of Python,
> mostly because I know it can't *really* be true. Most of my scripts are not
> portably to non-UNIX platforms, due to the use of sockets, pipes, and
> hardcoded filepaths (/usr/...). Even if I did, I can hardly agree that
> because there is no portable way (if any at all) to find out howmany
> diskspace is free, it isn't cross-platform. Just *because* it lacks that
> function makes it more cross-platform: platforms might not have the concept
> of 'free space' :)

Hmm, that means we better strip the standard library off
most of its modules (why not all?), because the less
content there is, the more cross-platform it will be,
right?

Well, if the concept is not there, simply throw a neat
ConceptException! ;-)

Dinu