[Python-Dev] Re: Alleged deprecation of shutils

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:50:43 -0500

On 22 March 2001, Neil Hodgson said:
>    Then they should be fixed for Windows as well where they don't copy
> secondary forks either. While not used much by native code, forks are
> commonly used on NT servers which serve files to Macintoshes.
>
>    There is also the issue of other metadata. Should shutil optionally copy
> ownership information? Access Control Lists? Summary information? A really
> well designed module here could be very useful but quite some work.

There's a pretty good 'copy_file()' routine in the Distutils; I found
shutil quite inadequate, so rolled my own.  Jack Jansen patched it so it
does the "right thing" on Mac OS.  By now, it has probably copied many
files all over the place on all of your computers, so it sounds like it
works.  ;-)

See the distutils.file_util module for implementation and documentation.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Unix bigot                                  gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/