[Python-Dev] Re: Alleged deprecation of shutils

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 12:13:35 -0500

On 26 March 2001, Michael Hudson said:
> So, a goal for 2.2: getting moving/copying/deleting of files and
> directories working properly (ie. using native APIs) on all major
> supported platforms, with all the legwork that implies.  We're not
> really very far from this now, are we?  Perhaps (the functionality of)
> shutil.{rmtree,copy,copytree} should move into os and if necessary be
> implemented in nt or dos or mac or whatever.  Any others?

The code already exists, in distutils/file_utils.py.  It's just a
question of giving it a home in the main body of the standard library.

(FWIW, the reasons I didn't patch shutil.py are 1) I didn't want to be
constraint by backward compatibility, and 2) I didn't have a time
machine to go back and change shutil.py in all existing 1.5.2
installations.)

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - just another /P(erl|ython)/ hacker          gward@python.net