[Python-Dev] Assigning to __debug__

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 15:30:53 -0500

Take a trip down memory lane:

That's the c.l.py msg in which Guido first introduced the idea of __debug__
(and DAMN was searching life easier before DejaNews lost its memory!).

The debate immediately following that (cmdline arguments and all) is being
reinvented here now.

Nothing actually changed from Guido's first proposal (above), except that he
gave up his opposition to making "assert" a reserved word (for which
far-seeing flexibility I am still most grateful), and he actually implemented
the "PS here's a variant" flavor.

I wasn't able to find anything in that debate where Guido explicitly said you
couldn't bind __debug__ yourself, but neither could I find anything saying
you could, and I believe him when he says "no binding" was the *intent*
(that's most consistent with everything he said at the time).

those-who-don't-remember-the-past-are-doomed-to-read-me-nagging-them-
    about-it<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim