[Python-Dev] OT: CVS access through firewall via SSH

skip@pobox.com (Skip Montanaro) skip@pobox.com (Skip Montanaro)
Thu, 3 May 2001 09:26:51 -0500

Python-dev folks,

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I'm striking out on the various other
sources I've located so far.  Since this group seemed to have a love-hate
relationship with CVS for awhile I thought maybe someone here would be able
to steer me in the right direction.

I have to access a CVS repository through a firewall via SSH.  That is, to
get to "server" I have to tunnel through "firewall" using SSH to port "nnn".
Using SSH to establish an interactive session to server is no problem:

    ssh -p nnn firewall

When I'm inside the firewall, I use a CVSROOT that looks like

    :pserver:montanaro@server:/cvs/projects

I need to merge the two bits somehow to come up with a CVSROOT that will do
the tunnel automagically.  I've tried this:

    :pserver:montanaro@firewall:nnn/cvs/projects

but CVS complains

    cvs [update aborted]: connect to firewall:2401 failed: Connection refused

(port 2401 is the normal CVS port).

Any suggestions or pointers?

Thanks,

Skip