IDEA for super (Re: [Python-Dev] Classes and Metaclasses in Smalltalk)

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Fri, 04 May 2001 16:58:20 +1200 (NZST)

pf@artcom-gmbh.de (Peter Funk):

> * People will confuse this with calling
> MyBaseClass.__getitem__(....)

Given type/class/instance unification, that's exactly how it'll
be implemented. So it's not confusion, it's insightful understanding!

> This '::' operator is not at all that ugly

Well, that's a matter of opinion. But I'll concede that it's
less ugly than something like @ or $.

But in any case, it's not going to mean quite the same thing
in Python as it does in C++, so it might just confuse C++
people.

What exactly *is* it going to mean in Python, anyway?
Will it have a corresponding __magic__ method, and if so,
what will it be called?