[Python-Dev] "".tokenize() ?

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Fri, 4 May 2001 14:51:26 -0400

[MAL]
> Gustavo Niemeyer submitted a patch which adds a tokenize like
> method to strings and Unicode:
>
> "one, two and three".tokenize([",", "and"])
> -> ["one", " two ", "three"]
>
> I like this method -- should I review the code and then check it in ?

-1 here.  Easily enough done via other means, and you just *know* different
people will want different variants of tokenization (e.g., nobody in their
right mind will want " two " coming back from that example, and, given that
it does, that it doesn't also return " three" is baffling).

> PS: Haven't gotten any response regarding the .decode() method yet...
> should I take this as "no objections" ?

+1 from me:  it's the other half of the existing .encode() method, and the
current lack of symmetry is icky.