[Python-Dev] IDLE and non-ASCII characters

Martin von Loewis loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de
Mon, 14 May 2001 13:41:26 +0200 (MEST)

> Postscript: using cut and paste, I *can* enter "s=3D'=E4=F6'" in IDLE at =
the
> Python prompt, both on Linux and on Windows 98.  It prints as
> '\xe4\xf6' on both systems.  What changed?

Perhaps the Tcl version? That sounds like the issue that Marc talked
about: Tk behaves differently when text is entered programmatically
(and perhaps through cut-n-paste), as compared to text entered through
the keyboard. Using cut-n-paste with Tk 8.3.1, CVS python, X11R6.3 on
Solaris 8 still gives me the UnicodeError.

Regards,
Martin