[Python-Dev] deprecated platforms

Mon, 14 May 2001 22:34:35 +0200

> I'm all for removing it:

So am I. There are way too many build options for build Python on the
Mac-like systems already (e.g. after that change, you still have
--with-dyld - or rather the option of still building .o extensions).

If it is clearly broken (even if only on OSX), it should be
removed. Anybody interested in the flag would need to make it work
correctly before it can be revived.

> However, I said I thought there ought to be some sort of official
> procedure for removing platform support.

I don't think such a procedure is necessary. It is not that any end
user would be concerned; building Python is an activity of system
administrators. The other PEPs are there because changing the language
or removing modules might break *applications* that used to work after
an upgrade of Python. With removed platform support, nothing will
break - installations would continue to use the last release that did
support that platform.

Regards,
Martin