[Python-Dev] RE: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Modules spam.c,1.1.2.3,1.1.2.4

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Thu, 17 May 2001 23:26:52 -0400

[/F]
> more info here:
>
> http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/index.htm
>
>     "A Five Billion US$ (as of 1996, much more now) worldwide
>     Scam which has run since the early 1980's under Successive
>     Governments of Nigeria.
>
>     "The Nigerian Scam is, according to published reports, the
>     Third to Fifth largest industry in Nigeria."

Most interesting to me is that US Post Office is upset about this:

    http://www.usps.gov/websites/depart/inspect/pressrel.htm

They don't seem to care so much that people are getting scammed, but that the
letters mailed from Nigeria to advance the fee-extorting phase of the scam
often use counterfeit postage!  Where else but here

    http://www.usps.gov/websites/depart/inspect/metercap.htm

could you learn that "Postage meters are not used in Nigeria -— therefore,
all postage meter impressions on Nigerian mail are counterfeit!"?

governments-are-mostly-insane-ly y'rs  - tim