[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Lib HTMLParser.py,NONE,1.1

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Fri, 18 May 2001 11:49:25 -0400

> guido wrote:
> > A much improved HTML parser -- a replacement for sgmllib.  The API is
> > derived from but not quite compatible with that of sgmllib, so it's a
> > new file.  I suppose it needs documentation, and htmllib needs to be
> > changed to use this instead of sgmllib, and sgmllib needs to be
> > declared obsolete.
>
> any reason this cannot be made compatible with sgmllib?

The sgmllib API design has a few real bogosities.  I can't recall what
they were, but we looked into keeping it compatible, and it wasn't
worth the pain.