[Python-Dev] FP vs. tutorial

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Tue, 22 May 2001 09:41:57 -0400

On 21 May 2001, Tim Peters said:
> + Happy to add text explaining the existence of surprises, and
>   providing a URL.  Do the floating-point morons <wink> on Python-Dev
>   find this one comprehensible?:
>
>     http://www.lahey.com/float.htm

I found this article more useful, interesting, and informative than
whatever I learned about binary floating-point in my academic years.
Good link, Tim.  Two catches:

  * I can just barely follow the FORTRAN examples; I very much doubt
    the average Python newbie would have any more luck than me

  * I tried several of the FORTRAN examples in Python, and did not
    witness any of the gotchas they are meant to illustrate.  Possibly
    it's just single-precision vs. double-precision difference, but
    Python 2.1 under Linux 2.2 on an Athlon compiled with gcc 2.95.2
    doesn't demonstrate the same gotchas as that article does.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - geek                                        gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/