[Python-Dev] IPv6

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Thu, 24 May 2001 01:52:58 -0700

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 02:18:27PM -0400, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> What's out IPv6 story?  I recall that someone once sent me patches,
> but they didn't work for me.  Is it time to try again?  In certain
> circles IPv6 support in Python would be enough to switch programming
> languages... :-)

Radical suggestion:

  Toss out a ton of the platform-specific stuff in Python and use the Apache
  Portable Runtime (APR). It has IPv6 in it, but it could also help with

(it won't replace *all* of Python's platform specific stuff; I think Python
 has more coverage than APR does)

Could simplify a number of things for Python, and reduce some of the
maintenance costs...

Cheers,
-g

--