[Python-Dev] Re: Time for the yearly list.append() panic

Tim Peters tim@digicool.com
Tue, 29 May 2001 18:54:01 -0400

FYI, I checked in a variation (listobject.c) over the weekend.

Win9x is ultimately hopeless, but we can grow a list there to about 35M
elements now instead of crapping out at < 2M, and it's zippy the whole way
until death.

Win2K (and I *assume* WinNT) benefit much more, as non-linear behavior was
obvious very early there.  Now it's flat and fast until physical RAM is
exhausted, and then it suffers looong (15-30 seconds) "hiccups" at resize
points.

Fred kindly confirmed that Linux isn't hurt.  Its behavior looks the same as
the new Win2K behavior, except that the Linux hiccups are much briefer
(although still obvious when they occur).

time-for-the-yearly-list.append()-celebration-ly y'rs  - tim