[Python-Dev] Re: [Patches] [ python-Patches-428326 ] Timer class for threading

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Wed, 30 May 2001 11:07:12 -0400

    TW> The easiest solution would of course be for Itamar to get his
    TW> boss/lawyers to give us the right to relicence it under the
    TW> PSF licence :)

    JJ> I think this is the only viable solution. If various parts of
    JJ> Python have different license agreements this may well be a
    JJ> reason for people not to use Python because the hassle of
    JJ> figuring out which pieces fit their own licensing policy.

I completely agree.  IMO, the most important job of the PSF is to make
the Python IP sane again.  That means clearing as much of the existing
rights as possible, and releasing it under the NAIPL (New And Improved
Python License).  Any code that is licensed differently could mean
that it'll be ripped out of some re-distributions.  I'd be less
concerned about some ancillary module that few people use, and much
more concerned about some core piece of the code.

-Barry